Things I'd Tell My Younger Self

Tuesday 10 March 2015


A lot of people have been making videos based around this topic on Youtube as part of its 'Dear Me' Campaign, but I personally wanted to write a blog post on it instead as even though I do have a channel some things I find easier to express in writing form rather than video form. So here are 6 things I wish I'd know when I was younger.

1. Take everything a day at a time.

As a teenager I spent WAY too much time worrying about my future. Worrying about what was happening tomorrow, next week, when I was 30, and it meant I missed out on a lot and it also stopped my happiness. Instead of living in the moment and thinking about the now, I let my teachers and family pressure me into thinking way ahead into the future, and that wasn't what I needed at all.

2. Actually focus on your education
I wish I knew this even a year and a bit ago, rather than finding out not that long ago. I've messed up a lot of what I want to do by not focusing hard enough on my education and boy do I regret it. Even though a lot of people now say that education doesn't matter as much, trust me it does. It really really does.


3. Friends that ditch you aren't your real friends

Friends come and go, especially when you're in school. When you leave half of those people won't even take a second glance at you, so don't spend half your life trying to please your friends in the hopes that they won't leave. Don't let it rain on you just to give them the sun, please don't, because if they're willing to ditch you at a heartbeat then they're not your real friends and they aren't worth it.

4. Don't be scared to do what you want to do.

This is so important, and it's still a lesson I'm learning now. It's easy to preach but hard to actually do I know, but when you learn not to care and to just do what you want (as long as it's safe and doesn't hurt other people) then you'll be so much happier I promise.

5. Your feelings matter.

I want to paste this onto everyones hands and walls and windows because your feelings DO matter. If you're having a bad day and you can't go to school, stay at home, take a break from everything and work on yourself, and go back in the next day. I'm so tired of seeing peoples parents tell them that because they're depressed or scared or anxious it means they're being a 'baby' or to 'just do it anyway'. Putting someone down or forcing them to do something that they can't because of how they feel is not going to help them. It's not going to make them better at all. Never let anyone tell you that the way you feel doesn't matter, because it does. Put yourself first.

There was so much more that I could have said but I didn't want this post to be too long, I may do a second part to this in the future sometime since there is so much I want to say. I feel like my past would have been a much easier and better place if I'd have known half of these a few years ago, but hey, I suppose not knowing shaped me into the person I am now. Still, I hope you enjoyed this and I'll see you guys soon!

Isabelle
xxx


8 comments

  1. I definitely need to learn to take everything a day at a time. I spend too much time worrying about my future.

    Sarah | Sarahanne14

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a very common thing to do, but i've found I've been a lot happier since :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute post )

    www.lifestylefunxion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words! Especially 1 and 4. You are so right! I need to stop worrying about the future also. It's so much better to enjoy now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Without sounding depressing you never know when you're going to die, so there's no point in spending your whole time worrying!

      Delete
  4. I would say the same thing to myself especially number 2. I never knew how much I miss school until I'm experiencing different things in my University. I should have studied well and instead of being a rebel, I should have worked hard so I can get to a great University instead of the shitty ones.

    www.dicexcvi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back school wasn't as bad as I made it out to be, and not working hard enough and getting better grades is one of my biggest regrets, I can't even go to Uni sadly haha

      Delete