Are You Really A Writer?

Wednesday 18 March 2015


While I'm currently writing this it's 2:40am, I can't sleep and I have a snoring dog at the end of my bed. Three cheers for Insomnia huh? I don't currently know what the point in this post is, I'm just sipping my tea listening to a very relaxing Spotify playlist and I just felt like writing. If there's anything I've learnt in my time as a writer it's to NEVER turn down a moment when you feel both motivated and inspired to write, mind block comes back way too quickly.

I'm calling myself a writer here but in what sense do I mean that? If i were to tell a random stranger on the street that I was a writer they'd take it in a vocational sense and assume it was my job, how I make my living. But sadly it isn't. So am I really a writer? A lot of people will say no, it's not my job so therefore I'm not that thing. I like acting but that doesn't make me an actress does it? By any means no, I wouldn't consider myself an actress even though I like it, but there are so many reasons I'd call myself a writer. Yes it's not my job, but it is something I literally spend 99% of my time doing. It's the closest thing I have to a job so yes, in my opinion I am a writer.

I hope this made sense and wasn't just very stupid 2am ramblings, but I'm going to post it regardless, raw and unedited. I'd be interested to know all of your thoughts on this so be sure to let me know down in the comments!

Isabelle
xxx

5 comments

  1. I love this and I love how it is written! Thanks for sharing! :)

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you write a letter, compose a poem, create a post on a blog, write a comment and a thousand other examples of putting pen to paper or tapping out a reply on anything at all then you ARE a writer. End of.

    ReplyDelete