The Power Of Social Media

Saturday 2 July 2016

Our generation are social media addicts. As soon as we wake up the first thing we do is check twitter or Instagram or even facebook. We get labelled unsociable and social media is portrayed as this big bad wolf that has a massive hold on us, but is that really the truth? We get told we're wasting our time and to get off our phones, but is it really that bad for us? I ran a poll on twitter asking what peoples thoughts were, and got a ton of DM's with everyone's opinions on the topic and to be quite frank it was rather interesting. Every single person had something different to say about it, but the majority agreed that our social media addict generation has both it's ups and downs.



I think it's safe to say that for the most part social media is an amazing thing! You can make new friends, meet new people, I mean some of the friends I've made through twitter or youtube are some of the best in my life! Sites like twitter, hell even blogger, open you up to so many opportunities. If it wasn't for my social media obsession I never would have realised my love for photography or videography which play a big part in my life right now. I never would have improved my writing skills or got to connect with my favourite authors and learnt a hell of a lot from them. I wouldn't be as interested as I am in politics and history and the world around us. It sparks so much you never knew about yourself and you can learn so much more than you even realise. Is that all a bad thing? I don't think so, in fact I think it's incredible. I'd probably be a much different person right now if it wasn't for my love of social media, and I'm quite happy with where I am now. I thought I'd share a quote from a girl on twitter who kindly DM'd me..

"I just saw your poll for your blog post, if you wanted opinions etc then I'd be happy to help out! I've suffered with cancer for 6 years and if it wasn't for social media I wouldn't have had a way to contact my friends, I've met some amazing people who are going through similar things and that wouldn't have been possible without social media. Some of the best people I've met have been through social media sites x"

Social media brings people together, it's in no way unsociable. Okay yeah I will admit it has it's negatives like everything else. A lot of people will just sit on their phones while hanging out with friends, or on dates, and that I do disagree with. Make the most of your time together, I know you could probably miss something on twitter while your phone's stuck on the side (always happens to me, typical), but it can wait for later because the person sitting in front of you is a lot more worthy of your attention. All in all I love social media and think it's wonderful, I don't understand why it has such a massive stigma around it because it really does do a lot of good. Everyone always focuses on the negatives and forgets that the positives may out weigh them. Everything has a down side and we can't just focus on that.

Isabelle
xxx

4 comments

  1. I totally agree that social media brings people together. I have met so many of my best friends online. I also met you online Izzy, back when we were major District 3 Fangirls! I met so many friends from being a One Direction fangirl and also from being myself - a blogger/vlogger. The internet is truly amazing and although it can have it's downsides, there's plenty more amazing things that can become of it. I'm so happy that I have been born into this generation, the generation of social media, as I have met so many incredible people because of it. Loved this post beautiful, such an interesting read and the DM you received from that sweet girl was so heartwarming to read!

    Lots of love from Mollie xxxx - www.theperksofmolliequirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha talk about throwback! Thank you Mollie xxx

      Delete
  2. Social media is indeed powerful whether it is on the positive or negative side.:)
    http://iamreeseroberts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete